The role of a cook in Canada involves preparing and cooking a variety of dishes in various food establishments such as restaurants, hotels, and catering services. Cooks are responsible for following recipes, ensuring food quality and safety, and managing kitchen operations efficiently. They contribute to creating enjoyable dining experiences for customers.
In terms of compensation, the earnings of cooks in Canada can vary based on factors like experience, location, and type of establishment. On average, cooks in Canada can earn between CAD $15 to $25 per hour. However, rates may differ across provinces and cities.
For a cook from Nigeria to obtain a work visa to Canada via employment, here are the steps to follow:
- Research Canadian Job Market: Conduct thorough research to identify job opportunities for cooks in Canada. Explore job boards, professional networks, and employment agencies that specialize in international placements.
- Gain Relevant Experience: Acquire relevant culinary experience and improve your skills through formal training or work experience in Nigeria. This will enhance your
- employability in the Canadian job market.
- Find a Canadian Employer: Secure a job offer from a Canadian employer who is willing to hire a foreign cook. The employer may need to obtain a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to demonstrate the need for a foreign worker.
- Apply for the Temporary Work Permit: With the job offer and LMIA in hand, apply for a Temporary Work Permit through the Canadian embassy or consulate in Nigeria. Submit the required application forms, pay the fees, and provide supporting documents, including your passport, job offer letter, LMIA, and proof of qualifications.
- Medical and Security Clearances: Undergo a medical examination to ensure you meet the health requirements set by Canadian immigration authorities. Additionally, undergo a background check for security purposes.
- Interview and Decision: If required, attend an interview to discuss your qualifications and job offer. The Canadian visa office will assess your application, supporting documents, and interview results to determine whether to grant you a Temporary Work Permit.
- Travel and Medical Insurance: Arrange travel and medical insurance coverage for your stay in Canada.
- Prepare for Arrival: Once the work permit is approved, make the necessary travel arrangements and prepare for your journey to Canada. Familiarize yourself with Canadian immigration regulations and employment laws.
COOKING JOB IN CANADA
Full Job Description
Hiring passionate Cooks that love burgers and fun as much as we do!
Extraordinary people, unbridled kindness, and Gourmet Burgers – they’re the secret sauce to creating thoughtful and energetic teams with a passion for having fun. We’re currently hiring Part-time & Full-time Cooks with magnetic personalities who enjoy learning and being rewarded for a job well done.! Our burgers are where it all began. Serving them fresh, fire-grilled and just how you like them. Loosely packed and full of flavour, Red Robin burgers don’t just make you full. They make you smile. Like they have since our first restaurant opened in 1969. Our goal? Burger greatness for every guest as the ultimate Burger Authority.
We also have a passion for developing our Team Members! Did you know over 40% of our Managers were Team Members at one time? Many of these individuals are now Restaurant Managers and General Managers.
Position: Cook, both part-time and full-time opportunities.
Salary: Very competitive plus share of tip pool (avg. $2.50-$3.50/hr)
The Job: You will learn the Red Robin style of food preparation, which includes cutting, sautéing, broiling, frying and cooking various meals such as meats, fish, poultry, vegetables, salads and other ingredients.
How To Apply: Apply through the website, at Redrobin.com, or drop off in-store and we’d love to chat with you!
The Opportunity: We offer great restaurant culinary careers for line cooks who have back of house cooking, chef, sauté cook, or grill cook kitchen experience in a high-volume restaurant environment. Red Robin is a well-established, full-service restaurant concept that has growth opportunities for team members in a full-service casual dining restaurant company. At Red Robin Gourmet Burgers and Brews you can grow your career with us as we look to expand in the years to come.
Benefits & Rewards:
- Benefits eligibility for full-time Team Members (30+ hrs/week)
- Flexible Work Schedules
- A Great Place to Work and Make Friends
- Yummy Red Robin food discounts for you and your immediate family
- Career development and advancement opportunities
Our mission is clear: Make it fresh. Make it fun. Make it memorable. And above all, make ’em smile! We’re Now Hiring, become a part of our team today!
Red Robin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Cook (Part-time/Full-time) Needed at $21.42/hour to start
Full Job Description
At Browns, we value integrity, teamwork, professionalism, an entrepreneurial spirit, and individual worth.
The role of Cook 1 reports directly to the Sous Chef and Head Chef. The role of cook 1 prepares a variety of food products including meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables, sauces, stock, breads and other food products using a variety of equipment and utensils according to kitchen protocol and standards.
Benefits package for those working 30 hours per week on average
Wage: $21.42/hour to start
1. Ensure that meals are prepared in a timely manner in accordance with Brown’s recipes and assembly manuals and charts.
2. Prepare a daily prep sheet as par stocks indicate, levels on hand and amounts required.
3. Is responsible for having a clean and organized kitchen at all times.
4. To implement all required checklists and cleaning schedules during his/her shift.
5. Assure the proper care and maintenance of all food service equipment; identify equipment needs for food preparation and service.
6. Responsible for daily and weekly procedures, including temperature checks, food labeling/dating, organized freezer, fridge and dry storage area.
7. Ensure hygiene by maintaining high levels of cleanliness, organization, and sanitation of the kitchen.
8. Maintain a positive attitude that promotes teamwork within the restaurant.
9. Performs other duties as assigned and directed by Sous Chef and Head Chef.
10. Train cooks on the different stations of the kitchen line
Required Education & Experience
- Red seal – cooking
- High school diploma
- Level 1 Food safe
- Minimum 4 year in a professional kitchen.
- Must be eligible to work in Canada
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Passion for fresh ingredients and producing great food every day.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, both written and oral.
- Customer service skills – able to exceed guest expectations.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Must work well within a restaurant team culture.
- Should be able to supervise the team in absence of Sous chef and head chef
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision and have a strong initiative.
- A positive and team-oriented attitude.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Must be able to work morning, evening and weekend shifts as business dictates